Improving the health of your mouth and teeth has powerful effects on your health as a whole. Health problems such as heart disease, stroke and even oral cancer can be blamed to poor oral health. Researchers have found out that there are some connections between gum problems and other diseases and even problems in pregnancies.
According to Richard H. Price, DMD, spokesperson of the American Dental Association (ADA), a person cannot be in good health condition with a bad oral health,
The Role of Diet and Lifestyle in Oral Health
The following are eating habits and lifestyle factors than affects oral health.
- Sugar consumption basically causes tooth decay and problems in gums since most bacteria prosper in the mouth. Sugar eventually produces enzymes and acids that damage the gums.
- Smoking cigarettes and cigars is popularly known as the main cause of several oral diseases such as gum problems, tooth decay and oral cancer. Dr. Price explained that the smoke coming from tobacco has a toxic effect on gum tissue, and cause interference with flow of the blood.
- Drinking alcohol has an indirect effect to oral issues by making mouth dehydrated that allows more bacteria to multiply faster. Furthermore, alcoholic people are more likely to ignore proper oral hygiene.
- Changes in body weight usually affect the size of gum pads and as a result making dentures fit less. In line with this, the ADA recommends the intake of fruits and vegetables that are rich in fiber to keep a healthy weight and prevent tooth decay.
- Medication to some extent, such as using antibiotics causes internal staining of teeth. Price said that there are several medications, either prescribed or over-the-counter, that causes the drying of the saliva. This results to greater chances of gum problems, tooth decay and even bad breath.
Ways to maintain healthy mouth and body
Dr. Price highly recommends a regular check up to your dentist to diagnose early the possible oral problems and encourage proper brushing and flossing your teeth to maintain oral health and also overall good health.